Recently, Hurricanes Harvey and Irma caused millions to reexamine various areas of their lives, big or small, both personal and professional. As recovery continues, we reflect on our role in helping our Liquid Web customers keep their businesses an ongoing concern during these storms. At the same time, we answer questions from prospects who are considering off-premises services as they plan for their own business continuity…from natural disasters, fire, water leaks or robbery.
When Hurricane’s Harvey and Irma hit Texas, Florida, Georgia and the Caribbean, we found ~8% of our Liquid Web customers were on the path of devastation. For our customers, their external presence to the world, via their websites, remained online and active, regardless of power issues. We worked with several of our customers, to expand their server capacity and others to use their Hyper-V replica feature where, with a couple of clicks, they could take their on-prem environment and replicate it off-site with us. Within hours of Harvey’s impact, we designed and built a custom server expansion for The American Red Cross so that their volunteer and donation site could handle the massive volumes that followed. Finally, we offered deferred payments for any of our customers impacted by the storm and required some extra time to pay.
Powering the business potential of SMB customers and the creators who serve them is what we do. We believe that any business who has a server on-prem should consider the Cloud for hosting. If the server that powers your online presence is sitting onsite under a desk, in a broom closet or adjacent to your electrical and phone equipment, you could be putting your business at risk. Step one in a business continuity plan can be to find a managed hosting provider who has Network and Power redundancy, high availability setups, backup plans and experienced Systems Administrators available 24x7x365.
Consider these 6 worthwhile advantages to hosting your server off-prem:
- A piece of mind. Everything from the design and security of our buildings to the network, power and cooling infrastructure we utilize is carefully planned with full redundancy in mind, providing our customers peace of mind that their servers are in a secure location. With Liquid Web you get access to a 30-minute hardware replacement guarantee which means that within 30 minutes of identifying the source of the hardware issue we will have it replaced. And since we’re monitoring your servers 24/7/265 we’re able to detect server downtime within minutes and take corrective action shortly after.
- Increased security. With the right provider, Cloud Hosting brings you additional levels of threat intelligence and vulnerability management beyond what you can do on your own. Hosting providers are actively monitoring for known and previously unknown threats and protecting your servers against vulnerabilities by providing prompt system patch deployments. Now, more than ever, you will appreciate knowing that you have Security teams staying ahead of the next threat.
- One of the best stability-cost ratio performance. You don’t have to purchase and maintain expensive hardware and as your Managed Hosting provider, someone like Liquid Web can take over server administration, monitoring and software updates. All that, allows you to focus on growing your business rather than IT services.
- Faster performance (per cost). Cloud servers give you more resources and a site that runs faster compared to what on-premises servers offer for the same price. You’ll never have to deal with outdated equipment, and you’ll never have to pay for new server hardware. It’s a seamless experience that always provides you with the fastest service.
- Downtime and data loss prevention. At Liquid Web, we provide 100% network and power uptime guarantee. If you have the right hosting provider, they guarantee hardware replacement w/in 30 minutes and an SLA that is backed with financial commitments.
- Scalability. Upgrading a cloud server (CPU, Memory, disk space, etc.) is incredibly easy, and costs less than upgrading an on-premises server. With the right provider, you can essentially grow your hosting with the popularity of your service or application. At Liquid Web, our customers can move from a Cloud Virtual Private Server to Dedicated Server as their grow or can take advantage of our Platform as a Service Cloud Sites product offering unlimited redundancy and scale.
Our daily news is filled with stories of fire, flooding and hurricanes damaging physical locations. Less well known are the horror stories of theft, sprinkler system snafus or an employee accidentally unplugging a server. If your business relies on your online presence and the data on your server, it’s too important to be stashed in a corner.
Cloud Computing has been around for decades. The technology works and SMBs and Enterprise customers alike are embracing the technology. In fact, many of our personal photos and documents are stored in the Cloud.
Moving your server off-prem and into the Cloud offers you better stability, protection, performance, and cost — and, if you choose correctly, backed by a team of experienced professionals 24x7x365. It’s can be step one to a smart business continuity plan.
Want to know more about the benefits cloud computing can bring your company? If your business relies on the web, you can rely on Liquid Web. Read about how our managed hosting packages can help you power your business potential and help protect you against disasters that can hit your location.
The post Averting Disaster: 6 Advantages Cloud Hosting has Over On-Premise Servers appeared first on Liquid Web.